Polaris 600-700cc Sportsman
Engine Oil Check
The oil dipstick and fill tube are located on the left side of the vehicle.
1. Position the ATV on a level
2. Start the engine and let it idle
for 20-30 seconds.
3. Stop the engine and lift the
lever lock (1) on the dipstick.
Remove the dipstick and wipe
it dry with a clean cloth.
4. Reinstall the dipstick completely.
NOTE: The dipstick must be
screwed completely in to keep the
angle and depth of the stick
consistent. Do not lock.
5. Remove the dipstick and
check the oil level.
Maintain the oil level in
the safe range (2),
between the full and add
marks. Do not overfill.
6. After reinstalling the dipstick, be sure to seat the lever lock.
Oil and Filter Change
The recommended oil change interval is 100 hours, 1000 miles, or
every six months, whichever comes first. Suggested break-in oil
change is at 20 hours, 200 miles, or one month, whichever comes first.
Severe use operation requires more frequent service. Severe use
includes continuous duty in dusty or wet conditions and cold weather
riding. NOTE: Severe use cold weather riding is all riding below 10°
F, and riding between 10° F and 30° F when most trips are slow speed
and less than 5 miles. Be sure to change the oil filter whenever
changing the oil.
1. Place the vehicle on a level surface.
2. Run the engine for two to three minutes until warm. Stop the
3. Clean the area around the drain plug.
4. Place a drain pan beneath engine crankcase and remove the drain
Hot oil can cause serious burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to
come into contact with skin.
5. Allow the oil to drain completely.
6. Replace the sealing washer on the drain plug. NOTE: The sealing
surfaces on drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of
burrs, nicks or scratches.
7. Reinstall the drain plug and torque to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
8. Place shop towels beneath the oil filter. Using an oil filter wrench,
turn the filter counterclockwise to remove.
9. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the
10. Lubricate the o-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine
oil. Check to make sure the o-ring is in good condition.
11. Install the new filter and turn by hand until the filter gasket
contacts the sealing surface, then turn and additional 1/2 turn.
12. Remove the dipstick and fill the sump with 2 quarts (1.9 1) of
Polaris Premium 4 synthetic oil.
13. Place the gear selector in neutral and set the parking brake.
14. Start the engine and let it idle for one to two minutes. Stop the
engine and inspect for leaks.
15. Re-check the oil level on the dipstick and add oil as necessary to
bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
16. Dispose of used filter and oil properly.
Precision Power Services